Tips and Resources
Find listed below several helpful and informative resource sites for ways to reduce, reuse & properly recycle your household and office items.
We have also included a few useful ways to go about being ‘green’ on your own!
Buying & Selling used items….
- Local Thrift Stores– a great way to support our local community & businesses.
- Ebay – a fun way to earn a few dollars from your…
- Craigslist – find hundres of sellers and buyers at your fingertips!
- Consignment Shops – find a local Ottawa consignment store near you.
- Garage Sales – fun way to get the family involved & make buck or two!
Donating used items….
- Cycle Salvation– a place to donate your used bicycle
- Sole Responsibility– a non-profit Ottawa organization sending used shoes overseas
- Computer Equipment– don’t let your e-waste end up in a landfill!
- Green Phone– the answer to safly disposing of your old cell phones.
- Wireless Recycling– make a difference (& a profit) from your old PDA’s
- Eye glasses & eye wear– 2 great sites to recycle & donate your used glasses
- Old Vehicles– a way to get rid of your old clunker! (tax receipt & pick up available)
- Thingloop– a smart way to share.
- Throwplace – list items online here that you would like to give to non-profit organizations.
More helpful tips…..
Community Swap – Organize a community swap program where people can leave used items for others to enjoy!
Natural Fertilizer – leave grass clippings on your lawn as fertilizer.
Composting – Start your own compost pile with yard debris & food scraps. Learn more at Wikipedia’s Compost page.
Green Paper – In general, try to buy products/containers made from recycled materials as often as possible to support the recycled market. Look for paper items that are made from a minimum of %50 post-consumer waste.
Buy Local – Shop at one of Ottawa’s fabulous local farmers markets. Go to world class Farmers markets for more details.
Recycled Gold – When shopping for a wedding ring or anniversary gift, consider buying recycled gold jewellery and synthetic diamonds or gemstones.
Hazardous Waste – The other key aspect of dealing with waste effectively is to dipose of toxic products at a hazardous waste facility. Check out the city of Ottawa’s website for drop off dates and times near you.